If you’re running your e-commerce store on the Shopify content management system, you know that search engine optimization (SEO) is crucial to driving traffic and sales to your site. But with so many different factors to consider, it can be a challenge to figure out where to start.
Shopify offers many built-in features that make it easy to optimize your shop, but there’s always room for improvement when it comes to making gains in search results. It’s important to remember that SEO is not just about using the right keywords–it’s a multifaceted strategy!
To truly optimize your site and increase your rankings, you’ll need to take a holistic approach that includes optimizing your site structure, improving user experience, researching target keywords, and more.
With the right strategy and tools, you can boost your visibility and drive more traffic and sales to your Shopify store.
Research & Target the Strongest Keywords
Keyword research is a crucial component of SEO as it allows you to gain insight into the search demand for your products or services.
By conducting keyword research using industry standard tools like SEMRush, Ubersuggest, or Google’s Keyword Planner, you can build an optimized keyword strategy that targets the most relevant phrases and keywords.
Data-informed keyword research can help you:
- Create a winning SEO strategy by understanding the search demand for your products
- Identify the most relevant keywords and phrases that align with your business goals
- Focus on the keywords that will bring you the highest return on investment
- Fill in any missing gaps in your store’s content, so you don’t miss out on potential traffic and sales
The higher your store ranks in Google and Bing for relevant search terms, the more traffic and potential sales you’ll receive.
By conducting thorough keyword research, you can ensure that your store is visible to the right audience and increase your chances of boosting conversions and sales. Read Shopify’s guide to keyword research for Shopify e-commerce for more tips!
Improve the User Experience
Enhancing the user experience on your site is crucial not only for keeping visitors engaged but also for boosting your search engine rankings. Here are a few ways you can improve the user experience on your Shopify store:
Boost Your Site Speed — A fast-loading site is essential for a positive user experience. When visitors can easily navigate and access content on your site without delays, they’re more likely to spend more time on it.
To improve the speed of your Shopify store, consider using a fast and mobile-friendly theme, optimizing images, removing unnecessary apps, and avoiding sliders.
Use a Responsive Design — With more and more shoppers using their smartphones to make purchases, it’s important to ensure that your store looks great on any device.
Responsive design ensures that your site will adapt to different screen sizes and resolutions, providing a seamless experience for visitors regardless of the device they’re using.
Google also takes into account the time visitors spend on your site, so having a responsive design that’s easy to navigate and read can improve your rankings and ultimately lead to more conversions.
Optimize Your Shopify Product Pages
Optimizing your product pages is an essential part of SEO. To start, focus on the pages that are most profitable and have the best conversions. This typically includes your homepage, main product collections, and top-selling product pages.
Even if you’re launching a brand new store, it’s important to optimize your homepage right away. To choose which other pages to optimize, consider the following options:
- Pages for the products that generated the most buzz leading up to the launch of your store
- Pages for the products related to the most searched keywords you found (with more than 10K searches per month)
When it comes to optimizing your pages, it’s important to be consistent in your use of keywords.
Here is an example of a formula for naming your pages:
Keyword 1 – Shop for Keyword 2 – Store Name
Example: Unicorn T-shirts – Shop for Unicorn Tees Online – Store Name
When it comes to writing titles and descriptions for your products and categories, it’s important to use original content. Your keywords should fit naturally into the copy, and if they don’t, it may be worth reevaluating your chosen keywords.
You can also optimize the alt text for images for SEO, but make sure it fits naturally and make sense for the image.
Optimize Your Shopify Site Structure
When it comes to SEO success, the way your content is organized on your page can make a big difference. Not only is it important for search engines to be able to easily crawl your site, but it’s also important for shoppers to be able to find what they’re looking for quickly and easily.
One of the best ways to make your site easy to navigate is to keep things simple. Avoid over-complicating your shop with too many categories and subcategories.
Instead, choose one of the following structures:
- Homepage > Category Pages > Product Pages
- Homepage > Category Pages > Sub-Category Page > Product Pages
When organizing your content, always keep your customers in mind. They should be your top priority, not search engines.
In addition to product and category pages, it’s crucial to include an About page and Contact page on your site. These pages play a vital role in establishing credibility and trustworthiness in the eyes of both shoppers and search engines.
A final suggestion includes adding a search box to your website. While it may not directly impact your SEO, it will definitely help visitors find what they’re looking for quickly and easily.
And, in the end, isn’t that what eCommerce optimization is all about: making more money from the traffic you already have, while bringing in new visitors with a solid organic SEO strategy in place.
Build Links to Your Store
Backlinks are like gold for SEO. They show search engines that other reputable websites trust and value your content. To increase your store’s visibility, you should focus on building a strong backlink profile.
Here are some tips for acquiring high-quality backlinks for your Shopify store:
- Connect with suppliers and manufacturers: Many established companies have a policy that allows authorized retailers to get a link. Reach out to them and ask if they would be willing to link to your store.
- Connect with industry leaders and influencers: Interviewing industry leaders and influencers is a great way to generate high-quality backlinks and content. This can also help to establish your store as a reputable authority in your niche.
- Find Unlinked Mentions: Use a tool like mention.com to find places where your store has been mentioned, but not linked. Reach out to the site owner and ask them to add a link to your store.
- Check for Broken Links: Search for broken links for products and services similar to yours. Once you find one, reach out to the site owner and offer them to link to your store instead. This is a win-win situation, as it helps to repair the broken link and get you a backlink in return.
Elevate Your SEO Strategy With Content Marketing
As a Shopify e-commerce business owner, you understand the importance of providing valuable content to your audience. Not only does it enhance the user experience, but it also plays a crucial role in driving organic traffic and improving search engine rankings.
Here’s how to elevate your SEO strategy for Shopify with content marketing:
Understand Your Audience: Make a list of the common questions and concerns your customers have. Use this as a guide to create content that provides real answers and solutions, rather than just focusing on product information.
Optimize Your Content: Use relevant keywords throughout your content and product descriptions, but avoid keyword stuffing. Utilize header tags and meta tags to indicate the structure and relevance of your content to search engines.
Incorporate Visuals: Use images and videos to break up text and make your content more engaging. Be sure to optimize image alt tags, which help search engines understand the content of your images and boost site usability for users who might be using assistive devices to parse your site’s content.
Leverage Internal Linking
Strategic internal linking is a powerful way to optimize your website’s structure and improve user experience.
By linking to other relevant pages on your site within your content, you can guide both search engines and users through your website, making it easier for them to find the information they are looking for.
Here are some best practices for internal linking:
- Use descriptive anchor text: The text that you use to link to other pages should be descriptive and relevant to the content of the linked page. This helps search engines understand the context of the link and the content of the linked page.
- Use links sparingly: While internal linking is important, it’s also important not to overdo it. Overuse of links can be seen as manipulative and can harm your site’s rankings.
- Link to deep pages: Most of the links on your site should point to deep pages, rather than only to the home page. This helps search engines understand the structure of your site and the relevance of different pages.
- Link to high-priority pages: Your main navigation should link to your most important pages, such as your product and category pages. These pages should be easily accessible to both users and search engines.
- Use breadcrumb navigation: Breadcrumb navigation is a type of internal linking that allows users to see their current location within your site’s hierarchy and easily navigate to higher-level pages. This is not only beneficial for the user experience but also can help search engines to understand the site structure.
- Use internal search: Implementing an internal search feature on your site can also help users and search engines to easily find the information they are looking for.
- Invest in blogging: Blogging is a powerful way to create new pages on your site, which can help you rank for more keywords and increase your chances of earning backlinks.
Use the Best Shopify SEO Apps and Tools
In order to improve your e-commerce store’s search engine rankings and drive more traffic, it’s essential to use the best Shopify SEO tools and apps.
Here are some SEO tools to consider:
SEMRush: This powerful tool allows you to see your competitors’ top keywords and find overlooked and underused keywords that you can use to increase traffic and conversions.
SEO Image Optimizer: This tool helps you increase traffic from Google image search by quickly and easily optimizing your images, without the need for coding knowledge
SEO Analyzer by Plugin SEO: This Shopify app offers automated, regular checking of page titles, headings, meta descriptions, speed, content, and more, helping you identify and fix important SEO issues.
Smart SEO: This app generates relevant meta tags and alt tags for product, collection, blog, and article pages, as well as structured data for search engines, saving you loads of time and effort.
Always remember — SEO is an ongoing process, so make sure to keep monitoring your site’s performance and making adjustments as needed. Good luck!
Shopify Optimization Resources
The Best Shopify Tools in 2023 for Your Tech Stack
28 Best Shopify Apps to Increase Sales Now (2023)